Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bad Week, Part 2

Continued from Part 1.

Thursday afternoon, I spent photographing the pot holders & coasters. Then I moved back up to my sewing room to edit. Kendall was upstairs with me playing on his computer and nosing around in my business. After a while, I heard something that sounded like wind. I immediately dismissed it and turned my music way up to drown out the noise. I am such an idiot.

This went on for about 20 minutes until I needed to go downstairs to do something. There was water rushing down the wall of my house. RUSHING. WATER. I realize at this point that I have no clue as to where the water shutoff is in my house and my husband is out of town in meetings all day. I call him over and over and over and over, no answer. Water is still rushing. Kendall finally chimes in that he thinks "it is in the garage." He showed me where he thought it was, helped me move stuff out of the way and helped me with the ladder. All with a busted, swollen face. Turns out, the kid knew the location of the valve. So between the time I heard the noise and the time I got the water off, it had probably been 30 minutes.

Luckily, my dad had just gotten off work and came over and capped off the leaky line but not before punching a large, medium and small hole in my ceiling. When he stuck the hammer in the first spot in the ceiling, more water and sheetrock came gushing out. It gushed for about 20 minutes. That's how much water was still in my ceiling.

We have water at our house with the exception of one toilet. I think we can manage with that for a few days while we contact plumbers and pipe replacement people to get bids on replacing all of our pipes. We have polybutylene piping, which was shown to be defective in a class-action suit. Unfortunately, we are not eligible to get any money from that because our PB pipes didn't have issues within some time frame.

Meanwhile, I burned my hand on the heating element of our toaster oven and somehow injured my other hand. And our lawnmower is broken so we have the Amazon rainforest in our front yard.

Anyway, here are some photos of my mess:
Busted Pipe

Busted Pipe

Busted Pipe

Part 3 will be the post about my pot holders & coasters. Yep, I finished them.

No comments:

Post a Comment